Connecting our community safely
6 days ago
Safer travel for everyone
If you’re new to buses or just want a refresher of the latest advice we've put together this handy guide for travelling with us see below.
- As of 17 May 2021 passengers may use all forward-facing seats and side facing seats. Rear facing seats and seats within 2 meters of the driver will remain out of use and there is no standing. These new arrangements have been specifically approved by government.
- There are usually more seats available upstairs, if you can, please sit upstairs to help leave more seats free for those who cannot.
- We will help keep fresh air flowing through the bus by keeping windows open at all times. Air is refreshed up to 20 to 30 times an hour when the windows are open.
- You can check how quiet your bus is using our live journey planning tool.
- Government advice is to not travel by bus if you feel unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Wash your hands before and after travelling with us. We have fitted hand sanitisers to each bus for you to use when boarding.
- If you don’t use the app or key card we accept contactless payment on board our buses. We still accept cash but we don’t offer change. More details can be found here.
- If you have an iPhone you can use Apple Pay Express Mode, there is no need to wake or unlock your device, open an app or use Face ID or Touch ID, so it’s easier and quicker.
- You must wear a face covering if you are aged 11 and over. They need to be worn at all times and make sure they cover both your nose and mouth. Some people may be exempt from wearing a face covering, full details can be found here.
- Board the bus one at a time.
- Please avoid queuing in the aisle or next to the driver. When you want to get off the bus ring the bell and remain seated until the bus stops to avoid standing next to people who are seated.
- During the current period of capacity restrictions, the boarding of buggies, pushchairs or wheelchairs will be reduced to a mix of two, for example 1 wheelchair + 1 pushchair or 2 pushchairs. These limits relate to open - not folded - pushchairs. This will maintain the current social distancing guidelines.
How our drivers decide when the bus is full
- Our bus drivers follow government guidance on social distancing, which means buses run at lower capacity as advised above. The only exception is schoolchildren only buses, which have no capacity limits.
- Drivers can use ticket machine data to see how many passengers are on board.
- Internal cameras mean drivers can see how much seating is free upstairs.
Our drivers are doing everything they can to ensure safer travel for all. We are continually monitoring passenger numbers. We’d also like to thank you for following the government guidelines on our buses to keep yourself, and others, safe.
More on face coverings
Thank you for wearing a face covering on board our buses and for your entire journey – you are helping to protect yourself and others and following the government’s legal requirement for travel on public transport. You must wear a face covering by law, unless exempt. If you are exempt, it would really help our drivers if you showed your exemption card, concessionary card or sunflower lanyard when you board, although we respect your right not to show one. If you don’t have an exemption card and would like one, you can apply here or call Customer Services on 01273 886200.
If you don’t wear a face covering and you are not exempt, you may be refused travel on our buses and you could be fined.
Our buses are put through a rigorous cleaning regime every night. We use hospital grade cleaning products. Our cleaning team is also out every day, jumping onto our buses to give them an additional wipe down using the same high standard cleaning product.
We are here to help
For any questions you may have about travelling on our buses or ticket enquiries please contact our customer services team who will be happy to help. Our travel shops at 1 Stop Travel, Brighton and reception at Conway Street are open.
If you need assistance while travelling please ask the driver as normal.
We have Covid-19 safe certified working environments - more details here.
If you can, download the NHS COVID-19 app before travelling.